Wet wipes are often seen as an indispensable part of daily personal hygiene. But do baby wet wipes expire? The answer is not straightforward. Find out why this popular product may have a shorter shelf-life than expected!
Read more: 10 Best Wet Wipes With Good Price for Baby & Adult Health
In fact, water wipes do expire. Many brands have expiration dates of 24 to 30 months after opening, but once you’ve opened a package, it’s best to use them within 30 days.
Factors that affect wet wipes’ expiration date:
First, the low-quality wet wipes produced by low-quality ingredients can cause the product to break down more easily.
Low-quality ingredients often include cheap, artificial substances created through various chemical processes. Low-quality products save money in the short term, but they can be harmful to health and have a shorter shelf life.
Second, improper use may also affect the product’s life
This is one of the common reasons why wet wipes go bad. In fact, a lot of people don’t use them properly—even though instructions for proper use are clearly stated on the packaging. People often leave the lids of wet wipe containers open, which causes moisture to evaporate and render them unusable. In some cases, skin rashes and other health problems can be caused by continuing to use wet wipes.
Read now: 3 main wet wipes ingredients & Things you need to watch out!
To remain effective, wet wipes manufacturer recommend that they should be used within two to three years of manufacture, after which they are no longer effective. Once opened, baby wipes will stay fresh for up to a year when kept in the original packaging and away from sunlight and heat.
Unwrapped or not, all wet wipes will eventually lose moisture as well as cleaning abilities. Wipes should be kept in a cool, dry location away from heat and sunshine to increase their shelf life. To minimize evaporation and infection, opened packs of wipes should be sealed as soon as possible after use.
Learn more: Can you use wet wipes on your face? All you need to know
Most of you would have noticed that expiry or best before date is not mentioned in wet wipes packages of many brands. So how to check the expiry of those brands?
Let’s look at what some of the major baby brands have to say about baby wipes expiry dates:
Wet wipes deteriorate with time, even when they are kept sealed in their packaging. There are a few things that can go wrong with wet wipes when they deteriorate:
Dried Out Wipes
Water makes up 90% of a pack of wipes, with the remaining 10% composed of dilute cleaners, moisturizers and preservative chemicals. If a wipe’s package is not properly sealed, the moisture—and water content in it might rapidly evaporate. This causes baby wipes to dry out quickly
To prevent the wipes from drying out, look for containers with snap-shut lids rather than ones that use sticker tabs. Keep your container sealed and away from sunlight or heat to preserve their freshness longer.
Breed Bacteria And Mold
Bacteria, mold and mildew thrive in moist places. Without preservatives or antiseptics, wet wipes are an excellent medium for growing bacteria and other nasty things. This problem occurs when using natural wipes (that have fewer preservatives) compared to mainstream brands that use more.
Mold is a type of fungus that spreads by dispersing spores into the air. You can identify mold in your wipes if you see black or grayish colored spots on them. When you find mold on wet wipes, throw them out and contact the manufacturer for a replacement or refund.
See more: What are Parabens? The safety fact behind the product formula
If you see mold or suspect bacterial growth in your wet wipes, there is nothing you can do other than throwing them away. Using infected wipes can cause allergies and infections for you and your family. Here is a recommended wet tissue alcohol product that can help you prevent the spread of bacteria
Another reason why wet wipes expire is because their effectiveness decreases over time. Once a package of wipes has been opened, its contents may degrade and lose the ability to clean or preserve.
After the expiration date, a baby wipe package may look and feel normal. However, you should not use it beyond its expiration date to prevent skin allergies or other problems associated with old wipes.
Here is everything you need to know about “Do wet wipes expire?”, we hope that this article will helpful for you and your family. If you have any confused, please contact to us and follow other posts to know more information about wet wipes:
Dong Hiep Trading and Investment Joint Stock Company
Related posts about wet wipes and things that are helpful for your health: